Kent Gibson - Biography
Kent Gibson is a believer in the new tools of the digital age. He is an expert in motion picture post-production and specializes in post audio for television and motion pictures. He is particularly proficient with ProTools, ProControl, Control24, Final Cut Pro, Euphonix,, and Waveframe.
• EDUCATION - B.A. Yale University (Communication), M.A. from Stanford University Film School (Dept. of Communication).
• AWARDS - Winner - Prime Time Emmy Award (Outstanding Individual Achievement for Sound Design) - PBS series COSMOS. Sound Designer 2003 Doc Emmy - Galileo, Battle for the Heavens - NOVA, Grammy Award team - Gimme Some Truth, the Making of John Lennon's Imagine Album - long form video. Grammy Award Long Form Videodisk - Physical starring Olivia Newton-John and the Grammy Winning Long Form Video The Heart of Rock & Roll, Starring Huey Lewis & The News. Multiple Clio Awards and other Emmy Nominations.
• TELEVISION SERIES - Sound designer / supervisor and mixer full seasons of fourteen television series (comedy, dramatic, music and documentary). Dolphin Cove (Paramount 2 seasons), Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Beans Baxter (Paramount 2 seasons), Best of the Midnight Special, Heroes of Rock & Roll, Roots of Country Music. History’s Mysteries, Biography, Mysteries of the Bible.
• DOCUMENTARIES - Sound designer & mixer for over one hundred and fifty cable TV shows for A&E, PBS. Discovery, etc.
• FEATURES Sound Designer & Mixer, Tillamook Treasure (Bright Lite Studio 2006), Sound Designer & Mixer, Naked in Ashes and Origins of Yoga (Paradise Filmworks 2005) - Supervising Sound Editor and Mixer - America's Heart and Soul (2004 Disney release), Sound Designer & Mixer - Purple Heart (Claymore Productions 2005), Supervising Sound Editor and Mixer - Borrowing Time (2004 feature). "Videogram" versions (for home video) of some sixty motion pictures for Paramount Pictures. Sound design & mixing - The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe (Orion Classics - Lily Tomlin). Associate Producer - Spirit of the Wind honored at Cannes "Un Certain Regard", Montreal Film Festival, Winner - USA Film Festival.
• FORENSIC AUDIO – Restoration, enhancement and materials preparation for litigation. Preparation of demonstration materials in music copyright litigation. Expert testimony.
• STAFF - Staff mixer positions at Pacific Video, KCET - Community Television of Southern California
• THEATER - Sound design for LA area theatrical events.
• THEME PARKS Sound Designer of Nature Rediscovered (Showscan - Seville World's Fair), Designed and installed theme park attractions - Paramount Parks, including the Top Gun and Days of Thunder attractions. Sound Mixer - Ghost of the Queen Mary, Museum of Tolerance - 2 installations.
• COMPANIES - Co-Founder and President, Cosmos Studios (2000-2004). Owner of Soundesign (25 years), a post-production sound services company. Mr. Gibson was also a founding partner of Rosebud Films, where he wrote, produced and/or directed over fifty music and documentary films and videotapes for network television and cable.
• ORGANIZATIONS - Director's Guild of America, West, NARAS, SMPTE, ATAS, IATSE, Board of Directors - NPF, LA, Exec. Director Non Fiction Exchange (NFX) 2005-2006.